Friday, September 15, 2023

Concerning flowers growing out of heads

"Though you have given me unlimited powers concerning your sprig, I cannot determine what to do about it, and shall therefore in this and in every other future letter continue to ask your farther directions. We have been to the cheap shop, and very cheap we found it, but there are only flowers made there, no fruit; and as I could get four or five very pretty sprigs of the former for the same money which would procure only one Orleans plum -- in short, could get more for three or four shillings than I could have means of bringing home -- I cannot decide on the fruit till I hear from you again. Besides, I cannot help thinking that it is more natural to have flowers grow out of the head than fruit. What do you think on that subject?"

                   - Jane Austen to Cassandra Austen, June 11, 1799
I could not help but dwell on the above quote after walking by one of my (many) local florists and seeing these ladies:




I think I want one. 


No comments:

Post a Comment