Thursday, December 10, 2009

Donwell Abbey by Katharine Moore

I have a hard time reading for extended stretches in front of a computer so, while I downloaded and started reading Donwell Abbey two weeks ago, I only finished it yesterday. Had I held it in my hands, I would have read it straight through, rendering it easier to keep track of the multitude of descendants Katherine Moore creates for the residents of Highbury. As it was, I had a difficult time keeping track of all the Knightlys and Wentworths. That's right, Wentworths. Mr. Knightly and Emma have had two children: George, who married Anna Weston and died in the Crimean War, and Jane, who married Charles Croft Wentworth of Kellynch Hall (how a gentleman with that name came to succeeded Sir Walter is never explained). Anna Knightly now lives at Donwell with her daughter Emily, the heroine of the story, and her mother-in-law. Mr. Knightly has, sadly, passed away before our tale begins.

This is a throughly Victorian book: the imagery, right down to the cottages in need of improvement, reminiscent of George Elliot's Middlemarch. We encounter Highbury at a time of great change: Mr. Philip Elton, son of the late rector, is extending a railroad line to the town. The story is constructed around familiar themes of progress, industrialization, and social upheaval. With the middle class ascending into power, the families at Donwell and Hartfield (another houseful of Knightlys) have to reevaluate their traditional place in society. Even Emma, who holds quite firmly to her traditional, hierarchical values, comes to respect those who are worthy of their advancement.

Donwell Abbey is an amusing book but it feels unfinished. For example, the middle of is broken up by an epistolary segment, making for awkward transitions. Still, I really liked imagining Emma in the role of the indomitable matriarch (the personalities Ms. Moore creates for her grandchildren and their cousins are rather fascinating, inspired by the characters of their forefathers). Unfortunately, the authoress is deceased so there will be no cleaner drafts of this story. As it is, it's free: how can I complain?

8 comments:

  1. This sounds like my cup of tea b/c I am interested in the time period where England went from being mostly rural to the rise of the cities with all their problems. The railroads changed everything, for better and for worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Mary! I think you'll enjoy the story. The Victorian era is the period of history that most interests me - the psychological ramification of industrialization are absolutely fascinating. I would love it if you would write a Victorian Austen adaptation. You portray history so vividly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds interesting - but I have bad memories of the Mr. Darcy's Daughter's series making the children of the original protagonists have the "same" characters as their predecessors...

    Not that I would necessarily say this falls in with those rather (er, extremely) tasteless sequels. But I wish that sequel writers who do the whole "next generation" thing would do something a bit more, well, original.

    Though I then go and complain about Marsha Altman's Darcys and Bingleys being too anime-influenced in their plots. So my inconsistency is epic (though I argue that since the originals are still main characters, at least some of my complaint is valid).

    I suppose what I really want is impossible: another Jane Austen novel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's what we all want! Just one more book, one more chapter, hey - I'd take 2 more pages and be in heaven! Until we learn how to reanimate our favorite dead authors and put them back to work, however, the closest we're likely to come is the Sanditon that was completed by "Another Lady", which is really wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh, don't even joke about reanimating authors - since this zombie and vampire and werewolf craze, it just might happen...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha! I address this in the post just published.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read Moonlighting in which Darcy is a werewolf. It was my first time reading a paranormal story. It is a very dark tale, but even though I didn't like how Elizabeth was treated by Darcy, it made for compelling reading.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Francy! I'm curious to read it and will definitely have something to say about the book once I do but I must admit that your comment increases my wariness. I adore Mr. Darcy and it pains me when he is portrayed as a brute.

    ReplyDelete