Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Kindle Edition of Emma & Elton: Something Truly Horrid Available Now

I had intended to announce the publication of Emma & Elton: Something Truly Horrid on Kindle with a great deal of pomp, it being a surprise I saved for after the final post of the story, but my glee was been tampered upon learning that I can't offer it for free. If anyone knows how to get around the mandatory pricing limits Amazon imposes on Kindle books, please let me know and I will change the current price, which I was forced to set at $0.99. I really wanted this to be a freebee and am very disappointed that it seems impossible to do. To make some amends, I am posting the story here on its own page. I hope this accommodates those who want to read or revisit the story for free, but who don't care to go jumping about from post to post. Alternatively, here is a link to a PDF of the story:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxlKzARQccxhUjdGUU1XZkpSVmc

Again, I am so sorry that this didn't work out as I intended. I am all ears if anyone has other suggestions as to how I can make the story easily available. Thanks to all who read Emma & Elton, and particularly those who commented! I trust everyone had a happier Halloween than poor Miss Woodhouse, of whom I really am very fond.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, my. I admire your efforts, but I am glad that Emma had more strength of character in her eponymous novel than here. I'm not sure I can entirely buy her inability to brave societal disapproval - after all, she basically sets the tone of society, so while she might have momentary discomfort, I can't imagine people long disapproving.

    Though this situation does allow for Mr. Knightley to have some agency in, erm, disabusing That Man from his disgusting attentions (hope hope sequel).

    I did like the way you tied in bits from around the novel - Emma's relationship with her father, her view of society, her tendency at this stage to act out of contrary spirit - to bolster the central alternate universe concept.

    But really, poor Emma. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Miserable, isn't it? My goal was Austenesque horror, and in that I think I succeeded, but the result really is ghastly. I never could wish such a fate on Emma, which is why I chickened out in the end and added a path/hope for a better end. You see how I even appalled myself? If i didn't have Halloween as an excuse, I doubt I could have written it.

      I have no plans to continue the story. It's premised on the notion that this is a more immature heroine, as we find her at the beginning of the novel, and I do not currently have any ideas as to how she can develop her further. That doesn't mean I won't someday find the inspiration, and I'll be sure to let you know if I ever revisit the concept. Thanks so much for reading, and especially for the feedback!

      Delete