Sunday, November 1, 2009

For the love of Austen! Let's boycott the monsters.

Usually I try to maintain a respectful tone but I have been driven over the edge! Jane Austen Today has announced that there is a Pride and Prejudice and Zombies prequel coming out. According to the comments, a Mansfield Park and Mummies is also being published. This madness must end! I am calling for a boycott of this dribble. I do not know if more than one or two people are actually paying attention to anything I have to say but perhaps those kind readers will join me in spreading the word. We can't keep the general public from reading this nonsense but those of us who truly love Austen certainly don't need to. I will begin by returning the copy of Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters that has graced my coffee table for three weeks, waiting for me to be able to tolerate the idea of subjecting myself to it, to the book store. Join me in thwarting those who want to sensationalize Austen for profit. Austenites of the world unite!

Note: I am not including those writers who have long proven their true love and devotion for Jane Austen in my boycott. If there must be monsters inserted into Austen, its best left in those writers' hands and I would hate to hinder them.

No comments:

Post a Comment