Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Austen in Walking Land

Burghley House - Rosings Park 2005
How wonderful to be included in the Austenesque Extravaganza, hosted by Austenesque Reviews! Thank you so much, Meredith, for both allowing me to participate and also for kindly scheduling me at the end of the month, giving me a few extra weeks to adapt to new motherhood. I have tried to switch back into my normal Austen/Austenesque obsessed state, but right not even dear Jane can garner my attention: life is all about baby. So as the month kicked off and I still had no notion what this post would be about, I had good reason to fear that my offering would be pitiful indeed. Instead, I found a delightful new method of incorporating Austen into my life! It is my pleasure to be able to invite you to join my wonderful daughter and I as we take our morning walk through the neighborhood - a seemingly magical place where all of Austen's characters reside in close proximity to each other, regardless of geographical boundaries. One just steps out my door and proceeds southwest to encounter the sprawling grounds of Rosings Park (Lady Catherine is so kind as to provide common land). We can pursue the very paths which Elizabeth explored while visiting in Kent. I believe I might even have identified the grove in which Mr. Darcy gives her his letter. It is not long before the house itself comes in sight. We walk along the park's handsome gate, the numerous chimneys, certainly connected to impressive chimney-pieces, casting shadows across our path. Several carriages. To the right of the house, Hunsford Parsonage comes into sight. We pass directly by Mr. Collins' book room, from where he can see all the comings and goings at the Park. As we turn the corner and stop to admire his gardening skills (such healthful exercise!), we can spot the window of Mrs. Collins' backward facing parlor.


Groombridge Place - Longbourn 2005
Remarkable to discover that on the very next corner the county of Devonshire is to be found! Nevertheless, there is Barton Cottage, right down to the casement windows which Sir John favors speaking through to waiting at the door. Though an orderly house, the grounds are highly picturesque, and I can see the Dashwood ladies making themselves perfectly comfortable in it. For some unknown reason, Mrs. Dashwood's improvements have included painting the facade blue, a poor choice I fear. The ladies are in good company, for as we proceed here is Longbourn on our left. Though the park is small, there is the "prettyish kind of a little wilderness" to one side. Maybe someday we will be allowed to explore it in search of the hermitage Mrs. Bennet recommends to Lady Catherine.

Sheldon Manor - Uppercross 2007
While the presence of Devonshire and Hertfordshire on the very same block might be disconcerting, it is highly orderly that Somersetshire adjourn the former. Conveniently, here on our right, we find the Great House at Uppercross, with its "high walls, great gates, and old trees," while almost directly across the way lies the Cottage, complete with veranda and French windows. Directly passed this modernized edifice we again skip counties (please ignore the presence of Tara on our left, as it is not relevant), landing squarely in Surrey. The younger Musgrove branch has amiable neighbors in the residents at Randalls, who in turn couldn't be more happily situated than precisely where they are, directly behind Hartfield. That house has also undergone improvement, for Mr. Woodhouse was so concerned about the ordeal his horses endured each time they journeyed forth to Randalls that he relocated the sweep drive onto his own grounds, thereby saving them all the trouble. Across the street lies Donwell Abbey, which I must say is my favorite of all the homes, "rambling and irregular" though it be, especially when compared with the orderliness Hartfield. The view is particularly breathtaking, as it overlooks sprawling park land.
Broughton Castle - Donwell Abbey 1995 (ITV)

Not unlike the Royal Crescent in Bath, in that they loop around adjacent park land, we have arrived at a strip of particularly fine houses, in which some of our most affluent characters reside. After Hartfield and Donwell we encounter Norland Park (Marianne will be pleased to know that despite the improvements enacted by her brother, there are still ample quantities of leaves to admire, all of which are sure to die in time). Next we pass Kellynch, so fashionably situated. Everything, by the way, looks ship shape under the Crofts' stewardship, as might be expected. Then comes Netherfield Hall, rounding out this impressive address. We are left to traverse a comparative social wasteland. Lovely houses abound, but none are of any import but Rosings, which we are again passing on our right (whether or not the presence of Rosings actually does anything to rectify the social void is an issue that will not here be addressed). Eventually, we find ourselves at Fullerton, fronted by a perfect hill for the children to roll down. Soon we turn right, but before we do let us look southeast, for one can just make out Northanger Abbey. It is worth investigating, but considerably out of our way. If you should ever venture in that direction, be sure to note the windows. Yes, they are indeed disappointingly modern in their functionality, but the form is unquestionably Gothic.

Kirby Hall - Mansfield Park 1999
We proceed along into the orderly village of Mansfield. Here is the Park on our left, nice and tidy. Almost immediately to its right you see the parsonage. Note the evergreens. Farther along, also on the left, we come upon Mrs. Norris' White House - just one spare room for a friend. Here is a surprise, for this is surely the Elton's parsonage on our right, instantly recognizable by the sharpness of the corner upon which it stands. Very gentlemanly, if a bit showy. Perhaps we have entered into a clerical neighborhood, for here a block up we find Woodston. Mr. Tilney must have his capable hands full, for in the smaller homes across the street one must surely find the Price's Portsmouth home, and there, above the shop on the corner, is the house where the Bates' reside.  I am sure Miss Bates and Mrs. Tilney are great friends.

If one were to head North from here and continue for quite a distance, one might happen upon Pemberley. Little Girl and I have not yet ventured so far, and sometimes I wonder if we ever shall or even should. We have driven by, of course, and ache to get a closer glimpse. The house is spectacularly magnificent, so much we can ascertain, and the knowledge that an exploration of its grounds could only surpass our expectations is a wonderful assurance to have, but I still hesitate to undertake the journey. Pemberley, perhaps, should not be so much a concrete location as a place of dreams. Besides, the Darcys can always visit Longbourn or Netherfield. Maybe we'll even cross their path one day.

Montacute House - Cleveland 1995
We turn right, and right again, in order to start the walk back towards home. As we proceed we pass Cleveland, identifiable due to the presence of the pagoda, which sits just across the street from Combe Magna (it seems Mrs. Palmer was more correct in her estimation regarding the distance between these two estates than was her husband). We are almost back at Rosings, but before we reach it we must stop and admire the house that stands directly behind it. A stone building, situated in the old style upon a sheltered grove, it is almost eclipsed by the flashiness of Rosings until one pauses to examine the place. The slopping lawns are unadorned but still beautiful, and while the house can boast only a reasonable number of chimneys and windows, the wealth of the proprietor can nevertheless be perceived in the tasteful elegance of the property. This is Tegginton, seat of the Stratton family and future home to one of the heroines in my next novel Second Glances: A Tale of Less Pride and Prejudice Continues. I will not reveal anymore on that subject now, except to remark that the hero's association with Lady Catherine should be not be held against him, and to confess that the baby and I spend a great deal of time in contemplation of this house, which we find very much to our liking. It is time to return home now and have our morning nap. Thank you for joining us on out walk! We do it everyday the weather allows and are always happy to enjoy the company of Janeites, so please consider this an open invitation to accompany us whenever your imagination allows. 

Don't forget that every time you comment on any post related to the Extravaganza, you have another opportunity to enter the Amazing Austenesque Giveaway! Do you ever dream that the homes in your neighborhood house characters from your favorite books? Do you think the Crofts would find Mr. and Mrs. John Dashwood to be desirable neighbors? Or for that matter, how would Mr. Knightley deal with this couple on a daily basis? I think he might have a very decided opinion about Mr. Dashwoods intention to enclose the parkland, don't you?

Images:
Burghley House - http://www.hha.org.uk/Property/223/Burghley-House
Groombridge Place - http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/170963

Sheldon Manor - http://drmikesheldon.org/Gen/genresources04.html
Broughton Castle - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/expatpicturegalleries/7472910/Jane-Austens-England.html?image=11
Kirby Hall - http://felicelog.blogspot.com/2010/07/mansfield-park-1999-photo-gallery.html
Montacute House - http://www.talktalk.co.uk/travel/features/silver_screen.html

31 comments:

  1. What a fun walk! :) And yes, I do sometimes daydream about my favorite characters living in the neighborhood--there's a cute little house down the street that I keep thinking would be perfect for the Tilneys! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such pretty places :D I want to go and live in those houses

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is so neat! It must be so nice to take your daughter on a tour of the neighborhood. Surely with such a mother she will grow up to appreciate the delightful scenes of Jane Austen's work. I could almost see everything myself as you described it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for posting all these lovely pictures, Alexa. You certainly live in an exclusive neighborhood. Two questions: What are the taxes like, and are there any vacancies?

    ReplyDelete
  5. araminta18 - I imagine that the Tilney's would make their parsonage fabulously cozy.

    Blodeuedd - Me too!

    Amanda - Thanks! I just hope she doesn't reject Austen in a fit of rebellion someday.

    Susan - You're welcome. Oh that this was really what my neighborhood looked like! Don't get me wrong, it is a lovely area, but it takes a healthy dose of creativity to see it as described here. That being said, their are vacancies, and Delaware has extremely reasonable taxes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what a wonderful walk :o) Thanks for letting us join you & daughter on such a delightful stroll...And, btw, I really, really like your idea ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a delightful walk! Thank you for sharing it with us. I have a somewhat unusual request for a neighbor - I'd love to be Anne's companion and sail the high seas with Captain Wentworth and his wife. Of course, I no longer have babies at home. Congratulations on your new little one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rebecca - Thanks! I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

    Jan - You're welcome, and thanks! Oh yes, next time I go sailing I will definitely have to invoke Anne and Frederick. She was actually my first walking companion, way back in college. I'll have to keep an eye out for an appropriate house for the two of them. As Austen provides no parameters, the possibilities are endless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, that was a delightful little trek! Thank you for letting us accompany you and your precious daughter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. NOTE TO ALL - I just noticed that I used the word "their" instead of "there" in my comment to Susan above. Such a breech if grammar cannot be ignored, as it is a personal pet peeve. Argghhh! So annoyed with myself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing such a lovely walk with us

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on having a baby girl! What special memories you two will make! :)
    Thank you for inviting us on your morning walk. It was quite lovely! I will need to do this more often.:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Heather - You're welcome!

    Jakki - Thanks! Definitely come stroll with us again sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Location hunting is one of my favourite acivities in my trips to the UK. Thanks for all these precious suggestions, Alexa!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun walk with you and your daughter. Thank you for the invitation! I look forward to the next one and yes, I would love to visit Pemberly with you when the two of you decide to venture that far!

    Congratulations on the birth of your little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would so love to live in your neighborhood! Maybe there's a nice little cottage somewhere I can rent?

    Thanks for the lovely tour and congrats on your new baby. (Did you give her an Austen-inspired name? Lol)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for the lovely tour!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loved the tour, I felt as though I was walking alongside you and your precious baby.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Maria - My pleasure1

    Janet - You're welcome! We look forward to enjoying your company once more.

    Monica - There are many a cottage! Nothing could be more comfortable.

    A Scattering - It was a pleasure having you along!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful walk! Thank you for taking us with you and your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I enjoyed your post very much!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fun, fun, fun. I've never thought of doing this. Of course I just don't have enough creativity and imagination to imagine anything like this in my neighborhood. No wonder your book "First Impressions" was so good. I'm looking forward to a second. Congratulations on your baby and I'm sure she'll be a joy. Suzan I can't get my google thing to work and I'm technologically challenged. So I'm both anonymous and my self.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats on your new baby. I think it's very healthy to take her walking in your neighbourhood. It feels as though I was walking alongside both of you and admiring the achitecture of the houses. You shouldn't shy away from Pemberley. I'm sure your daughter will be super excited to see the magnificent estate of the Darcy family.

    ReplyDelete
  24. i am breathless! what an imaginative and glorious walk you've led us on ~ loveliness! thank you '')
    care for a cuppa and feet up ?

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a fun post Alexa! I really enjoyed the tour!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What's wonderful about your walk is that I had the pleasure and opportunity to visit a couple of these homes while living in England last year. The one thing that I loved about Kirby Hall was all of the peacocks on the grounds. As we approached the 'gate' there were two or three peacocks UP ON THE WALL! It was a site to behold!
    Have fun walking with your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  27. That was lovely, Alexa, to accompany you on your walk - I marvel at how you managed to write such a wonderful post with your tiny daughter taking up so much of your time, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a delightful walk! I've had the pleasure of visiting Sheldon Manor, which was used as Uppercross in the 1995 Persuasion, and sometimes when I've had a particularly trying day, I'll let my mind wander through the gardens there.

    ReplyDelete
  29. How wonderful! I have dreamed of living in such places! And the neighbors...well life would never be boring, that's for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a wonderful tour that was! I truly enjoyed it!

    Barbara Tiller Cole

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a beautiful stroll! I would love to live in any of those places, particularly Sheldon Manor. :)

    ReplyDelete