Thursday, November 1, 2012

NaNoWriMo

I've always wanted to do this. The fact that a decided to take it on now, when I'm busier than I have ever been in my life, is pretty insane, but I'm going to take a shot at it anyway. NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) begins today. The goal is 50,000 words written in November, and I would normally balk at rather than to aspire to such a thing. So why reach now? The truth is I'm aching to write. Second Glances is now in production (I still have hopes it will be released in late December, though it may be early January instead), and it has left a whole in my heart. While pleased with the book, in order to make the plot work I ended up chopping an entire side story from it, one focused on Charlotte Lucas. She has been loudly protesting such treatment ever since, and I think there is no way to assuage her anger but to give her a book all her own. Third Encounters: A Tale of Less Pride & Prejudice Concludes will be the last story I write based on my re-imagined P & P storyline, so while focused on Charlotte, it will have to wrap up the fates of all the other characters, particularly Darcy and Elizabeth. I've also left Jane and Bingley in a bit of a bind at the end of Second Glances, as well as having some unresolved Wickham issues, all of which I intend to address. There is no saying if I will come anywhere near the 50,000 word goal, but at least I should get a strong start on a story which I feel urgently compelled to write.

The probable consequence of devoting so much of my time to Third Encounters (by the way, if anyone wants to suggest a better title, I'm all ears), is that my blogging will suffer, particularly the Mixed Up Mashup endeavor. I have definite plans for that little tale, and I hope those who are interested will check back in a few weeks weeks to see where it goes. In the meantime, I do intend to post the first few chapters of Second Glances, which I hope all my well-wishers will read. I think it a terribly sweet story, like First Impressions, though with a tinge more conflict than its predecessor. I hope it meets with the same degree of approval as First Impressions. While I did receive a good deal of criticism for that effort, I also heard from many whom it deeply touched. It was their reviews and emails that kept me writing when I was attempted to abandon it, for which I am forever thankful.    

No comments:

Post a Comment